It’s that time of year, fellow Arizonians! Time when the days get longer and Hotter! Here are some ways to keep cool. Add your suggestions in the comments below, or send us an email.
First, some general advice. You probably know some of these already, like the suggestion to drink plenty of water.
Here’s one my mom taught me – a “makeshift swamp cooler”! You put a bowl of ice in front of a table fan. Sit in front of the table fan with a tall glass of ice water.
Another of mom’s ideas (she grew up before central AC). Soak a bandana in cold water, wring out excess water (or not!), tie around your neck loosely. If you sit in front of the fan, you get double the cooling effect. I used to take this idea one step further and hop on my moped (you could also use your golf cart) for a cool, breezy, relaxing ride!
Here are some more ideas and places to go cool off:
Snowcones & Shaved Ice recipes:
- Recipe suggestions and flavor combinations from Hawaiian Shaved Ice; http://www.hawaiianshavedice.com/mashicelipr.html
- Here’s a recipe I saw online a while ago:
Fill a Styrofoam cup with shaved ice. Pour in a good dash of Bailey’s Irish Cream, add a dash of Amaretto. Pour a little chocolate syrup over all.
Make a little hole in the ice with your spoon, fill it with whipped cream, add chocolate sprinkles.
Eat! But don’t drive!
- Amazon sells a snow cone machine; For $44.99 you get the machine and all the fixings to make 25 snowcones – including 3 bottles of flavor. Just add ice! http://amzn.to/2sq0CCi
- If you need a good ice-maker, they also sell those. This one is a real powerhouse and has been meeting the heavy, non-stop ice demand in our household since May 2016. It’s portable, easy to operate and clean, and can churn out 28 pounds of ice a day. http://amzn.to/2rQWvlN
- And if you need extra syrup or a better variety of flavors – you guessed it – Amazon to the rescue! Snow cone syrups; 10-pack; $44.95 – http://amzn.to/2sBAC6u
Places to go! Click on the name for more information
Water Parks – $28 – $42
- Golfland Sunsplash – 155 W. Hampton Ave; Mesa ; $28.99 age 60+ (reg admission $32.99)
- Wet n’ Wild Phoenix – 4243 W. Pinnacle Peak Rd; Glendale ; $29.99 – $32.99 age 62+ (reg admission $39.99 – $42.99)
Amusement Park with “Splash Zone” – FREE Admission; $5 – $23 splash park & rides
- Enchanted Island Amusement Park – 1202 W. Encanto Blvd; Phoenix. Free parking, No admission fee, pay just for the rides you ride. All-day Splash Zone pass is just $5.
Recreation Center – $0.75 – $7
- Kiwanis Recreation Center with Wave Pool; 6111 S. All-America Way; Tempe; General admission $5 – $7
- Escalante Pool; 2150 E. Orange St; Tempe; ; .75 – $1.25 day pass
Mall Splash pads (FREE)
- Desert Ridge Marketplace; 21001 N. Tatum Blvd; Phoenix;
- Tempe Marketplace; 2000 E. Rio Salado Pkwy; Tempe
When all else fails – laugh!
Welcome to Arizona! If the Scorpions don’t kill you, the Heat will!
These are just some of the ways we keep cool here in the “Valley of the Sun.” How do you keep cool? Send us your ideas and suggestions and we may use them in an upcoming article.